Financial Aid and Loans

Mason offers additional financial support through federally funded loan programs available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents working toward a degree. 

Types of Student Loans and Financial Aid

If you need additional financial support beyond fellowships or assistantships, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at least 30 days before the start of your program. Graduate students are only eligible for unsubsidized loans when applying for federal aid.

Federal Loans: Graduate students who are citizens, U.S. residents, and eligible non-citizens can apply for government loans that cover their financial needs. 

Federal Direct Loans: These unsubsidized loan cover degree costs. There is a yearly maximum borrowing limit.

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans: If you reach the limit of your federal loan eligibility for the year, you can apply for a graduate PLUS loan to cover the rest of your costs.

Private Loans: These loans are offered by private lenders, and eligibility depends on your credit score.